Monday, September 24, 2012

A Remembrance Poem

It's something about this old t-shirt
When I wear it, I can feel you
I can feel your warmth,
I can feel your sweet words of wisdom
Though you never thought yourself very smart,
You were a refined intelligence,
One that no book could fabricate,
One that can only be found through passion

It's something about this house
When i'm in it, I can see you
I can see the peanut butter you left on the counter,
I can smell the aftershave lingering in the bathroom,
I can see your laughter dancing on the walls
You  never had much to laugh about,
But you did anyway

It's something about that room
When I'm near it, I can mourn you
I can feel the disappointment seeping down the walls
And when I walk through the door,
It unlocks a wave of emotion, pounding my head vigorously
That very room robbed me of my childhood
Stripped me of my security

Until I can find the will to relive the memories I store,
I will keep wearing this old t-shirt
Hoping someday, it will get easier
Hoping someday, it will all just disappear

No comments:

Post a Comment