Friday, April 19, 2013

The Sad Truth

I will never forget High school
Mainly, because it was the bane of my existence
But also, because of 5 minutes in one particular class.

I'm sure it's every teachers dream to be written about
Or to have some recognition that at least one student
Was appreciative.
But for this instance, my teacher was wholly himself
And for that matter, most likely unaware of his sincerity.
As we studied some British poem,
For the fifth day in a row,
I tried to dissect the author by becoming his mind
Unexpectedly, Mr. Mitchell said something that changed
My view on everything.
"He does not love her because she is lovely...
..She is lovely because he loves her."
Perhaps he had rehearsed it,
Or perhaps that was his annual punchline
Either way,
It was impactful
And sad
Sad because people no longer live life in such a way
But rather let the superficial mindset of our society
Dictate their fickle minds

It's sad
But true
And I've learned to love the truth 
Because at least when you're sad
You know it's real

No comments:

Post a Comment